December 2014, events
• Saturday Dec. 6, 4:30- Bible Study class will meet in church hall. We will study ‘The Lord’s Prayer’.
• Next Sunday Dec. 7 – St. Nicholas Day celebrations.
This year we are specially blessed to have a relic of St. Nicholas.
- The children will be surprised by gifts from St. Nicholas. Please bring all the children to learn about this great saint.
- Lunch. This is a fund raiser for the St. Innocent Orphanage in Mexico. All money raised will be matched by one of their sponsors. Please plan on attending the lunch. We ask that you be generous.
- Christmas Hampers- please bring a non-perishable food item for a needy family.
- Christmas flowers and candles- please mark the envelope “Christmas Flowers” with your donation.
Christmas Liturgy, December 24th at 11:00 p.m.
NO service on Dec. 25
Loaves of sandwiches are brought to the Mustard Seed every Sunday. Please make a loaf for a working homeless, especially during this time of the Fast.
Tropar for the Nativity of the Theotokos:
Your Nativity, O Birthgiver of God, has proclaimed joy to all the universe. For the Son of Righteousness, Christ our God has risen from you. By abolishing the curse, He gave a blessing, By destroying death, He bestowed eternal life.
Troparul Nasterii Domnului
Nasterea Ta, de Dumnezeu Nascatoare Fecioara, bucurie a vestit la toata lumea; ca din Tine a rasarit Soarele dreptatii, Hristos Dumnezeul nostru si dezlegand blestemul, a dat binecuvantare si stricand moartea, ne-a daruit noua viata vesnica.
At St. Mary's, we encourage participation in worship services through congregational singing. Please feel free to join your voice with ours in prayer.
The Divine Liturgy is a Eucharistic celebration. The tradition of the Church is that only Orthodox Christians who have prepared themselves may receive Holy Communion.
If you are not of the Orthodox faith, you are invited to share in some of the blessed bread which will be distributed by the Priest after the service. We appreciate the need for children to also experience the Divine Services and are quite tolerant of the usual noise that accompanies their presence.
Our Mission & Objectives
The mission of St. Mary's, is to commit one another and ourselves to Christ Our God. We accomplish this by serving the spiritual needs of Orthodox Christians, converts, those of interfaith marriages and the unchurched living in the Calgary area. Our liturgical services are a warm, intimate, and meaningful experience of the Orthodox faith celebrated in English and Romanian as a tribute to the founding ancestry of Saint Mary's. We also attempt to serve in the "language of the people", so if you have a preferred language for weddings, baptisms and memorial services please contact Father Michael in advance to prepare in time…all this and with congregational participation as well! Join us!